Hi Christoph, :-)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 06:00, Christoph Noack <christoph@dogmatux.com> wrote:
Concerning the latter: no. Since I know that you also have to focus on
several things at the same time. But I feel free to bother you again
very soon, since it's still an issue :-) Okay?

Hmmmm.... How can I start. First of all, please read friendliness
throught what I'm about to say. ;-)

Frankly, I'd like you to think carefully about anything that will
involve a lot of work restructuring the website.

First of all, you're the only person to have raised issues with the
site, and maybe it would be a good idea to leave it like it is for a
month or two, and to see how the *user base* reacts. If we do start
getting a lot of email with comments on its usability, then -
obviously - there is need for action. But, if not, then maybe we can
finally enter a period of "peace and prosperity", and each of us can
focus on other work that has been neglected recently.

Myself, I have a lot of work that I want to get on urgently in the
docs project, not to mention work for clients. The site-building
process has been very time-consuming in terms of the actual work on
the site, and in terms of the huge amount of e-mail discussion on and
off the list.

If you do feel that work is needed redesigning the IA, and if it is
likely to cause cascading complications down the line, I might have to
leave you to do the work yourself and to deal with the complications,
because I don't think I'd have time to help you out much. It seems to
me to be rather a secondary priority, and there are other things I'd
have to put first.

On the other hand, I'd be disappointed if what you want involves major
interventions on the site's content, because an *awful* lot of work
has gone into it, and it would be a pity if it was to turn out to be
wasted.

I've given some thought to the issues you raised and I don't really
understand some of them. Maybe there's something I missed, and maybe
we can clarify things during a website confcall. Let's talk about it
by voice - which is sometimes a better means of communication than
email. ;-)

Meanwhile, can you have a think about the priorities aspect? I'd refer
us all to Narayan's notion of "getting things right and getting things
done". Right now, I feel very much in favor of the latter.

However, I am keen to properly examine any problems or shortcomings
you perceive in the current site IA and content, so we can talk more
about them soon.

But I'll be relieved when we get to the stage when the website is
something that boosts our productivity and community life, instead of
being a continual problem.

"Ciao for now!" ;-)

David Nelson