On 1/18/11 12:26 PM, Narayan Aras wrote:

Then I volunteered to collect the stakeholders requirements.
The 23 roles were identified on this very mail list.

I have seen mentions of these "23 roles" many times, but I have not seen a list where they are described in detail. It looks like they have been developed without even asking the SC members - or the group of the founders - if this was the right approach.

I am not a web site expert, but I am a member of the SC and in addition I am the one coordinating marketing (you might complain about this, but I got the trust of the founders based on seven years of activity inside the OOo community). In order to approve an approach, you have to "sell" it before even starting to work at it.

When I have entered the OOo community I told the members about my experience (at the time, 23 years in IT marketing, as an executive VP of a very large corporation and then as a consultant, plus 12 years as a professor in Italy and the US - summer courses - where I have also obtained three master degrees - all summa cum laude - in communications (marketing and media relations) and journalism, which in general can be considered as adequate credentials for an OOo marketing contact), but I was asked to start working at translating some documents (which I did translate as it was a very easy task).

When Davide Dozza, the Italian OOo maintainer, saw the quality of the translations, then I was allowed to start working in "real" marketing. I had to "sell" myself, although I had very good credentials.

I do not mind about my background (other long time members of the OOo community can confirm they have never heard about it until today) as I do like to be respected for what I do and not for what I have studied. Communities have their non written rules, and there is some learning curve (as in any other activity).

I am very interested in understanding:

1. Why you decided to create "roles" (it might be a silly question, but when you deal with people different from you I have learned that there are not silly questions)

2. How you decided to define these "roles"

3. How you got to the number of "23 roles" (my perception is that 23 might be way too many, but I might be wrong)

4. Which benefits bring these 23 roles to the web site, and to the community in general (being the web site an expression of the community and not an independent entity)

I think that once these five questions (maybe silly ones, as I said) get an answer and are fully understood by the community (the founders and the SC are supposed to be the first community representatives even if sometimes their behaviour might look different, but everyone should remember that we are all individuals with our own pros and cons, and our specific way of expressing ourselves, independently from our role) then we might have a better understanding of the beauties and the advantages of a different (and improved) web site).

I think that the main fault of everyone in this specific domain of the web site (including SC members) was to overlook the web site problem and leave it unmanaged.

I look forward to get the answer to my questions. Ciao, Italo

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org