Christian,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:
On Oct 18, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:

We're working on this, but again, it's not a one-person decision here.

Yes, it's not. But those people who will make the decision should have
something to compare. I fully agree here.
But again: Who else but those who are advocating for a specific
platform, those who tell they have experience with the system are more
suited to setup a demo?
Especially if everybody is telling that you need to put quite some
time into configuring it until it fits all your needs?

Those who have said this were envisioning far more complex sites than I believe you were imagining.
To replicate the current static site will not require a great deal of configuration whatsoever.

I don't think the onus is on everyone to prove to you personally that Drupal is best suited

No, not to me personally. Me included, but not exclusively to me. So
far only the ones that maintain a drupal site themselves are in favor
or drupal, the users didn't really had a chance to make up their mind
yet. (And those who were and tried out silverstripe, prefer
silverstripe over the current drupal demo)

I think this is not a valid comparison, unfortunately, until after Keith shared full admin
credentials to his demo late this afternoon (Tuesday). At that point, several people seemed more
supportive of Drupal.

to the task; I think it's the reverse. If you're setting yourself up as the gatekeeper here,

Kind of, since I won't blindly follow whomever shouts loudest.
I'm active in the OOo community for the last ten years, so I consider
myself as experienced community member, I have been active in the
website project at OOo, am in the admin group taking care of the
servers.

This is good, but you're not the only one who has been active this long. Further, new contributors
can also provide fresh new ideas that should be weighed on their merits, not based on their newness
to the project. Finally, at the moment, you seem to be shouting the loudest while covering your
ears to my suggestions.

But I'm surely not the only one who will make that decision. Again to
stress it: It is the content editors/native-lang people basically
who'll work with it, so it needs to be easy to use for /them/, not
nice for the admin.
If both is combined, the better, but if the UI for the user sucks,
then sorry, you're out of the game.

I agree, but the Drupal UI is strong, so I don't see the problem.

then you need to be impartial and test both suggested platforms yourself.

Test: Yes, I fully agree.
Set it up myself and then having to face comments like you don't know
it, you should have done it otherwise, install module xy and
everythign works, etc.: No, thanks.

We're not in contention here. I will be happy to talk you through as much as I know without blaming
you for not knowing what modules need to be enabled for which functionality. Or, better, we can
simply work with Keith's demo now that he's shared the admin credentials with the list.

If you're setting yourself up as an advocate of one platform, then you cannot also be the person
to make the final decision.

But I can always defend my personal opinion. And honestly: That what I
saw from the drupal demos doesn't kick it for me.

It just doesn't fit the usecase of the website. (And I take the
current OOo website as reference here, since I expect the organization
and use to be very, very similar)

It fits the usecase of the website very well. Please explain what you think is missing?