Re: [libreoffice-users] Very unhappy camper

On Tuesday 28 December 2010 02:18:37 pm MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I just began the process of recovering from attempting to run a .ppt
> slideshow that crashed my machine.
>
> I attempted to run it once and it crashed Impress. I tried to run it
> again and it crashed my machine - hard. I now have a partially
> unrecoverable VMWare Workstation VM that I critically need to be able
> to run.
>
> I am running:
>
> 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64
> GNU/Linux DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"
>
> LibreOffice 3.3.0
> OOO330m18 (Build:4)
> tag libreoffice-3.3.0.2
>
> Unfortunately the .ppt file is confidential information and I can't
> submit it for analysis, but this is seriously bad - LO should not
> crash the host no matter how screwed up one of its (or MSO's) files
> might be.

i share your thoughts on how robust a system should be. This sounds like an X
issue, video card/driver or X-windows. Check your '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' file and
the output of 'dmesg' for clues.

A couple of thoughts possibly related to the crash, Ubuntu 10.10 is not the same
quality as the LTS release, . Run a release candidate on top of that, and you
don't have the robust system you seek.

I run VM's on my Linux host, I use 'nfs' for Linux guest file sharing, and Samba
for Windows guests. This puts all data on the host, which has backups, problems
with the VM don't affect the security of the data. Being the cautious type, I
have a backup of my Windows guests VM.

--
Peace,

Greg