Based on suggestions (thank you), I conducted more experiments with autocorrect and em-dash. I don't know if this is what's supposed to happen. But this is what did happen.

1. typed a word

2. typed space

3 typed dash dash

4 typed space

5 typed a word

6 typed space

At 6 the previous dash dash was swapped for an em-dash, and this action was repeatable. The replace did happen but at a word beyond where it had been expected. Also, did not lose formatting. Upshot, the before and after blanks seem important signalling tools for the algorithm. I thought about it. Does make sense. I'm considering this yet another case of expectations and reality not quite meeting in the middle.

--

Chris Johnson   rchristopherjohnson@gmail.com
Ex SysAdmin, now, writer /Violence does, in truth, recoil upon the violent, and the schemer falls into the pit which he digs for another../