On 29/07/23 19:32, Mike Scott wrote:
On 25/07/2023 21:17, Steve Edmonds wrote:

On 25/07/2023 22:17, Mike Scott wrote:
On 24/07/2023 17:39, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
Just out of curiosity, at any time did you receive a "Confirm File Format" window and unchecked the "Ask when not saving in ODF or default format" dialog?

An error in this function might react oddly, even though unlikely.

The "Confirm File Format" window only (and always) pops up when a non-odf format is picked from the drop-down box in the 'Save As' dialogue. "Ask when not saving in ODF..." is set in the LO options and re-appears (set) in the "Confirm format" window.

The odd thing today is that on this machine at least, I can't provoke the erroneous behaviour... I must have just clicked "Save As" 30 or more times, and all works perfectly. Would fail regularly when I last posted. The machine has just been rebooted though... surely that can't affect things!

Thanks to you and to all for comments.

Yesterday I observed the behaviour you described, just once, first time in a few years since the bug saving with file names containing multiple '.'s (i.e. API12.578.PT100SB.odt) was fixed. This time also I had a file name suggested in the "Save As" Name field, no extension showing, file type .odt selected and LO saved the file without any extension.
I couldn't repeat it. I have no idea what logic is involved.

Hmm the gremlins persist - my last email seems not to have made it to the list.

First, in answer to a query, the dialogue box style is set to system not LO's own. But as, today, I can't provoke the behaviour at all, I can't say whether the choice of style affects matters.

And the text of my last email, telling of a very odd thing, was as follows (apologies if anyone's already seen this):

===

Thanks for the comment; similar I guess.

The craziest thing today though. Having tried and failed to make my desktop fail again, I've just tried my rather slower laptop. The dialogue box briefly flashed up something I couldn't make out, so I set a screen recorder running. Serious weirdness is evident.

When I do the 'Save As', the dialogue box comes up. At one point as I step through frame-by-frame, the main area (the panel with a list of file names on disk) is empty, and the save as file name box at the top contains the highlighted file name, no type.

At the next frame, the main area is populated, and the filename box now contains the name plus highlighted type - which is the bad behaviour I have noted.

I should add, it took a couple of tries to get it to happen.

I can't imagine what's going on internally to do this. And seemingly randomly at that.

Maybe the gremlins are getting restless? :}

===

If it happens again, try the LO file dialogue. I had do do this a while back for a period where the KDE dialogue was acting badly under LO.