On 22/07/2023 19:03, Steve Edmonds wrote:
I have just opened an older file, sometimes the file Name field is not blank when I "Save As" with older files until I edit and re-save. This time the full name with extension does show. If I open Writer to an Untitled document and "Save As" the Name field is pre-filled with "Untitled" (no extension).

In Tools>Options>LO>General there is an option Open/Save Dialogues, I don't know if this setting would affect Mike's result.

I don't think so.

I've just been playing again with the problem. First up, I deleted ~/.config/libreoffice/ to try to get a clean(er) start. (Not that this seems to have affected anything.)

There's a file JUNK.odt in my home directory, and which behaviour I get actually seems to vary randomly. I've tried even opening this document just the once and doing repeated 'Save As' + Cancel, and the behaviour occasionally changes from one to the other, sticking there for a while before switching back. Sometimes the 'Name' box in the dialogue says "JUNK.odt" [with the odt selected) and sometimes just "JUNK" [selected].

Checking on my laptop, which seems to be running an older version 6.something (I think it's runnjing the previous Mint version), the same sort of behaviour is observable.

This is seriously weird, and very confusing for my wife, who regularly needs to send out .docx files to her contacts; in the mode where "JUNK.odt" is the style, she has to manually change the odt to docx, which should not be necessary.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England