On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:03:24 -0500
John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net> wrote:

On 2021-02-17 16:07, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:36:34 -0500 John Kaufmann wrote:
... It sounds like you know Discourse and find the mailing list
side wanting. But if Discourse is an attempt to serve in a single
forum users comfortable in both media, it may at least /become/ a
solution to the problem of a fragmented user knowledge base.

In my experience it becomes a way of forcing the email users to use
the web forum instead. The only purpose the email interface serves
in practice is notifying of web posts.

AskLibO already gives us that. I have to believe (and certainly hope)
Discourse offers something more.

Even a bridge as Sophie suggests is likely to kill the mailing list
IMHO.

If "kill" means changing the list address,

Why on earth would you think 'kill' might mean changing a list address?

It means reducing the number of users of it to zero. i.e. the number of
users who use the mailing list and do not use the forum. The mailing
list will cease to exist as an entity. It will fall off its perch.

that may be a price worth
paying for a larger user base. (FTM, I wonder how the larger user
base on AskLibO will react/adapt to Discourse.) If it means losing
anyone now on the mailing list, I can only hope that is incorrect.