On 10-4-2019 05:32, Tim Deaton wrote:
Steve & Brian, thanks for your replies.

Despite decades of working on spreadsheets, I can't say I expected it.  But then, it's the first time I'd found myself in this particular scenario.  But after your first sentence, I think I can see the logic - even though I wish the spreadsheet was smarter.

I actually am doing a lookup from Sheet2.  But the food names on Sheet1 is the index column, and I'm using the lookup function to pull the calories, carbs, etc into Sheet2.  That's why I was sorting Sheet1 on the food names - both to make it easier for VLOOKUP to find a match, and to make it easier for me to create the link between the two sheets.

Unless someone has any other suggestions, I guess I'll have to remember to insert new rows wherever my noew foods need to be, and/or to use ALT+SHIFT to drag new rows to where I should have inserted them before I created them.  I'll probably also need to regularly use |Paste Special| to convert those formulas pulling the food names into Sheet2 into hard text, since this is more fragile than I expected it to be.

Perhaps there's a way to setup a pull-down pick-list to pull the food names into Sheet2?  Perhaps I can investigate that later.

-- Tim

You should not be doing a lookup from sheet2, but you should do it from sheet 1

Simple Example:

Sheet1:

Three columns

A Date; i.e. 10-04-2019   ('DD-MM-YYYY', or whatever dateformat you are using)

B Food; ie. 'pasta', 'pizza'

C Carbohydrates; formula: =IF(ISERR(VLOOKUP(B2;Food.$A$1:$B$50;2;0));"?"; VLOOKUP(B2;Food.$A$1:$B$50;2;0))

Sheet2:

Two columns

A Food; i.e. 'pasta','pizza','macaroni', etc....

B Carbohydrates;  the carbohydrates in the food...

After this sorting sheet1, or sheet2 is no problem.

The only 'problem' i have with spreadsheets is that i am always referring to fixed ranges (like the $A$1:$B$50), which fail after adding more than 50 lines.... ;)

40