Hi Ken,

Ken Springer schrieb:
Hi, Regina,

Yes, I'm in Writer.

Why am I using a text box?  Because there is this nice (or not so nice,
depending on the icon set) icon in the toolbar area that says "Insert
Text Box".  There's no indication the icon refers to a graphic object as
opposed to a text object/frame.  Using the word "Text" logically implies
you will be working with text, and not graphics.

And to make is more confusing, you can add a "text box" to a custom shape (a star e.g.) in Writer and that is an additional kind of "text box".

Digging a little deeper...

Right click on the frame.  At the bottom of the context box, it says
"Object", not "Frame".  And it really should say "Frame Properties" so
the context box entry accurately describes what the link will take you to.

Open the "Styles" pane of the sidebar. The third icon from left selects the tab "Frame styles". To these styles belong not only Frame, but Formula, Graphics (that are images not shapes) and OLE too. They are all kind of "Object". Therefore in some context not the specific but the more general term "Object" is used.

Shapes do not have styles in Writer but only in Draw and Impress.

Occasionally, I have had the same dialog box come up when right clicking
on a text box, but I can't reliably reproduce this.

Create a text frame the width of the page text area.  Height appears to
be unimportant.

You can set a minimal height which expands, if the content grows, or you can set a fixed height.

  Put a border on the bottom of the frame.  (This is for
reference only, so you can see what happens.)  Set the Vertical position
for Bottom to the page text area.

And look at that...  There's a gap between the frame and the page
margin.  :-)

A frame has an outer margin, a border and an inner padding (similar to the box model in CSS https://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/box.html#box-dimensions). Open "Properties" from the context menu (=right click) of the frame. Go to tab "Wrap". The section "Spacing" contains the values for the outer margin. Go to tab "Borders", the top right values are for "Padding". [It will be called Padding in the next LibreOffice version.]

There's a similar problem with an inserted image.  Do similar to the
text frame, but position vertically to the top of the page area.  Add a
caption below the image

A caption to the image inserts a frame. The image and the paragraph with the caption text are now content of the frame.

, and the image position is no longer next to the
top margin of the page.

You have to adjust margin and padding manually.

Now that you have a caption, the image position shifts away from the top
margin.

FWIW, with what I'm currently creating in LO, if I was being paid to
create documents similar to this, I would use, and recommend, a page
layout program.  :-)  But this gets me what I need to know and learn, so
I'm using LO.

If you will use LibreOffice like a layout program, you need a lot to learn, because that is not the common use of Writer. Do not hesitate to ask. LibreOffice has considerably more possibilities than a simple office worker would imagined. Describe what you want to get and people will give you tips how to get it.

Kind regards
Regina