On 07/17/2017 06:07 PM, Concerned Citizen wrote:
AMD processors run hot. This is not news. Most software is biased towards
Intel in optimizations so your AMD CPU will be taxed while an Atom
processor will provide more efficient processing. This is very noticeable
during media tasks and sustained CPU loads, where AMD will thermally cap
and throttle more quickly.

The problem system is a quad core Intel cpu laptop. My desktop is an older quad core AMD cpu.

When MS Windows 10 runs on the Intel laptop, it overheats running almost anything. The Linux partition does not overheat unless highly taxed like running multiple video format conversions at the same time.

I personally believe Microsoft optimizes for Intel while all but ignoring
AMD. That's what it feels like when I go between comparable systems using
different CPU. The AMD always runs hotter and throttles much faster. You
can hear this on systems with fans.
I do not know anything about MS's bias, but the laptop's Intel cores run much hotter than when running Ubuntu Linux. My quad core desktop has a lot fans in the case due to the simple fact that with 4 hard drives, and 1 DVD burner, the case is now a little cramped even - even though there are enough drive racks to handle 2 more drives. So I added a fan in the top most optical drive opening to help suck out the heat better.

My quad Intel laptop has only 2 "air ports" [Asus's name for them]. I do not feel any heat coming out of either one while running Windows or Linux.
I figured that was the case, and that is why I asked about the CPU. My AMD
laptop cannot play 1080p 60FPS without dropping frames (SSD and 8GB Ram...
Quad Core).  Sometimes the machine will crash. My atom tablet plays 120FPS
1080p like they're VGA video video files - flawlessly.

There is a huge efficiency gap between Intel and AMD.
I have 3 different working laptops, and two working tablets. The laptops have different Drive, CPU, and RAM setup. Only the newest [quad core Intel and 8 GB RAM] has the overheating problem with Windows 10.

The oldest tablet is a true Nook tablet instead of a standard tablet using the Nook packages. The surprise is the Nook has a better resolution with their 7 inch display over the newer 10 inch display.

As far as I'm concerned AMD processors aren't worth any savings they
provide and I will never buy another matching with an AMD CPU/APU, ever.
They're terrible, especially in notebooks.

Windows is not the problem here, in my opinion.

DOCX is deprecated. Have person install compatibility pack and set default
to OOXML in their office apps.
The problem here is the agencies that are sent the document files, along with me and others, have different versions of Word or not using Word at all - like me. The IT people in each agency have a list of mandated packages to be installed on their systems and the users - the lady who creates the docs - are not allowed to install any other software or patched. Some of these agencies have disabled the use of USB drives of any size, or even CDs/DVDs, due to system security mandates.

I have been using LibreOffice since the first version. LO replaced my OpenOffice.org package. I was using my quad core desktop and Ubuntu 9.10 at that time - or was it 10.04. My last version of MS Office was 2003. I never looked back.
Can't comment on update and upgrade issues beyond what I have done already.
There are too many variables that can cause breakage and failure, and they
aren't all to do with Windows itself.

<snip>