Well none of that worked. :/

However, I can save as .xlsx and manipulate it in Office 2010. I can
confirm my copy of LibreOffice is creating unusable files in Office 2010,
and probably 2013 as well.

So I  guess I'll send him a .xlsx invoice, going forward.

I suspect I have a bad configuration file or setting. I'll install a clean,
newer Mint release on a spare partition of two, and test a fresh
Libreoffice in a fresh and clean install and see if this problem goes away.
Probably some old configuration setting that I kept in an update, that I
should have rejected, removed, or changed.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.