At 16:33 14/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's saving the spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I expected. [...] When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx) if converts the spreadsheets as an image! [...] The older Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers. If I save an 2003 .xml version Libreoffice can't even open a readable document again!?

You are tying yourself in knots here - and quite unnecessarily.

o Don't believe what one customer tells you about what s/he can or cannot handle: they may just not be competent enough to understand. My bank provides documents in the format it chooses; it may respond to suggestions for changes from customers in general, but it certainly wouldn't believe me if I simply claimed I couldn't handle what it provided. Is your bank any different?

o You are confusing on the one hand the format in which you keep our own records and active documents and on the other hand what you send your customers. You may need part of a spreadsheet in a text document to be active but you should not want your customers to be able to modify your invoices easily. They may halve the price and pay you accordingly!

o Save and keep your own documents in LibreOffice's native Open Document Format formats, here .odt and .ods. Use a DDE link to an .ods spreadsheet document in your .odt text document if you wish.

o Send your customers a frozen document. You need a format that is suitable for final versions of documents and is robust to changes between systems - operating system, installed fonts, printers, printer drivers, and so on - and is also easily displayed by and printed from application software that is easily available for a wide range of platforms and conveniently free of charge for your customers. That is not *any* word processor document format; that's PDF. Oh look: LibreOffice will export your documents as PDF.