Hi, Robert,

On 10/30/16 12:33 PM, Robert Großkopf wrote:

<snip>

For every installation on linux you could
- - install as root/SuperUser
- - install as user in your own directory

Install as root/SuperUser:
1. Upack the files you downloaded (program, help, language)
2. Create a directory which you could call as you want (local_sources)
3. Move the *.deb-packages (or *.rpm-packages) to this directory
4. Use your install-program and add the directory as a local source
for your installer.
5. Now you could choose the directory with your installer and could
install all packages from there.

I did OK until step 4, and then my lack of basic Linux knowledge reared it's ugly head. ROFL

In Mint 17.3, under Administration I see Software Manager, Software Sources, and Synaptic Package Manager. But in none of those do I recognize anything that lets me point to folder I created. I.E. a point and click method. Is one of these the "install-program" you are referring to?

Would the folder I created now be called a repository? If so, do I input the complete path? Which means I need to learn how Linux structures pathnames.

Where can a find a truly beginner's guide for this type of information? I've noticed over the years that many "beginners" articles are not truly beginners articles at all, the articles already assume some basic level of knowledge. Knowledge that does not always exist. :-(

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6