Hi :)
Also not answering the question but this time not very helpfully either ...

I've never understood why underscores are so popular.  I tend to find they
create all sorts of problems, especially in links or chapter headings.  It
is very hard to see them when the whole link gets automatically underlined
on almost any system by default.  When people 'have to' rewrite or re-key
the link there is often confusion about whether it's an underline,
underscore or empty-space (except that spaces tend to get changed to "%20"
making the whole thing unreadable to almost everyone).  Also when using
"Ctrl and keyboard-arrows" to move through text one-word-at-a-time the
cursor jumps right over underscores as though they were part of the word.
At least they don't often get converted to some sort of coding, unlike
spaces, but normal hyphens don't seem to create any of these problems.

Luckily, for me, Gnu&Linux abounds with file-renamers making it easy for me
to batch-process entire directories/folders full of all sorts of ugliness
(such as inconsistently capitalising .jpg or file-endings, where the format
is the least important thing for me).

Usually i can ignore my pettiness about such issues, luckily!!

Btw the email process converts all letters to lower-case so people can use
capitalisation judiciously to make addresses easier for humans to read.
CamelCase tends to be easier to read than alllowercase, for example;

TomCecf@Gmail.com

or

BridgeWaterMA@PlymouthColony.net

I've just noticed that Chrome seems to convert all upper-case in web-site
addresses to lower-case too but i'm fairly sure Internet Explorer is not
sophisticated enough, unless it's been introduced fairly recently (ie
within the last 5 years or so).  I'm not sure about other web-browsers.

Regards from
Tom :)