Do you have lots of images in the document? That will certainly increase
the size of the file, but will also increase the loading and saving time. I
have a doc with 900 pages that loads and saves in about 15 seconds. I think
it has more than 1000 images. I moved all of them outside the odt file some
years ago which improved the performance, don't remember how much but alot.

Then, the xml code could need a cleanup of unused types etc which could
affect the performance. I have been looking for a cleaning program myself
but have not found one.

Last, the computer is of course of importance. Moving from an old laptop to
a new with SSD disk and fast CPU cut the loading and saving time to 50 %.

Suggest trying 2 looking at 2 things.
1.  Clear Direct formatting.
2.  If you have less than 20% of storage, clean up till you reach 30% and
then Defrag.

Hope it helps.