On 2/10/16 3:19 PM, libreoffice-ml.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Ken Springer wrote:
On 2/10/16 8:28 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 09/02/16 11:39 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
On 2/9/16 2:23 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 09/02/16 03:23 PM, Dave Liesse wrote:
I've never had any luck with any of the Avery templates I've tried
(although my problem has been mostly with left-to-right adjustments
rather than top-to-bottom).  I finally just got in the habit of
setting my paragraph position as 1/8" into the label; fooling with the
template specs didn't do the job.

I've occasionally found problems with the labels but they are minor.
For
small labels, like return-address labels, the print V. Pitch may be a
little off so the labels creep up or down a little as you go down the
page.

I think this could also occur due to printer's paper feed abilities.
In this case, the error is consistent.
Are you referring to the page slipping on the rollers? That would likely
produce inconsistent results. If the labels are simply off consistently,
that would be the top margin. If they vary consistently down that page,
that would be vertical pitch.

Slippage in the rollers is what I was thinking of.

In my case, the error is consistent, so slippage is not problem.

Telling the printer where to actually start the printing appears to be
the issue.  We'll call it the top margin for convenience, but even that
has it's own issues.  Since the driver is TWAIN, the brand of printer
shouldn't make a difference as long as the printer manufacturer doesn't
screw up the driver.

Time to "expand our horizons".  (Sounds like a motivational speaker,
doesn't it?   LOL)

LO's built-in template, displayed on the screen, is correct.  The
paper's top margin is .5" on the screen and in real life.  Positioning
of the text is also correct, as displayed on the screen.

Only printing is in error.

Now...  Suppose you are creating X number of label designs for someone
else.  They don't have LO, how to you get the labels to them?  Today, I
think almost everyone's answer would be PDF.

You may already realise, but in case not... Adobe Reader has an option
to "Shrink oversized pages" when printing.

Every PDF reader I've toyed with has that option for scaling. Useful if you receive something that was created for 11 X 17 paper, and all you have is 8.5 X11. In which case, I would expect a bit of error, not to mention difficulty in reading text that may be on the page.

You might not expect that to
do anything when printing an A4 PDF printing onto A4 paper, but it
actually shrinks the page slightly to allow for the non-printable
margins around the page. To get a 1:1 scale print you have to select
"Actual size". It remembers the last setting you use, so you have to
remember to check what's it's set to each time.

I would submit, that the person who created the PDF, should have considered non-printable margins. Which is why I always use margins that I'm sure all printers can handle, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Fair enough, but that doesn't work either.  If you create the PDF with
the default template settings, which are correct, the resulting PDF file
is also in error.  I tried it.  Same vertical offset issue.

Is the vertical offset incorrect on screen as well as when printed? When
I first read that, I thought you meant it was wrong on-screen as well,
but from your discussion below it sounds like the PDF is displayed with
the correct margin, but prints with the wrong margin?

If the onscreen display of the margins for 8167 labels is correct, the printed output is incorrect, from both LO and PDF. If the onscreen margins are incorrect (to the needed amount of course), the printed output is correct, from both LO and PDF.

So you change the top margin, create the PDF, and yep, labels print
correctly.

What's wrong with this?

In the above scenario, the recipient of the PDF may/can/will look at the
labels before printing them, to see if they are correct.  (If they
don't, they aren't doing their job.)  Guess what?  They'll see the top
margin error, more easily spotted if you have a vertical ruler option.
If you send a PDF based on the correct template (the one supplied by
LO), the printing will be off.  If you send a PDF based on a modified
template, the visual display on the screen will be off.

So if you have a PDF which displays on screen with the correct margin,
but when printed it has the wrong margin?

Yep.   <G>

To get it to print with the
correct margin, you have to produce a PDF which displays with an
incorrect margin?

Yep.

< Assuming you're printing the PDF at actual size, that
would suggest the printer or its driver is in error (unless your PDF
reader has the same issue as LibreOffice). Once LibreOffice has created
a PDF, it has nothing to do with any difference between how the PDF
reader displays and prints it.

Unless the error is embedded in the PDF.   :-)

I hadn't considered the printer driver to be the problem, since the other size label does not exhibit this issue. A .5" margin is a .5" margin. :-)

If you open a PDF created from a completely different application, does
that also print with different margins than when displayed on-screen?

Yep. Just tried Word 2011 on this Mac, same printing error. Margin on the screen is correct, printed margin is not. Which does point to the printer driver as the possible source of the problem.

OT, but I noticed that the 0 point on the vertical ruler in Office is at the top margin, not the top of the paper. Resulting in the ruler saying the letter sized paper being 10.5" long. LOL

Can you try printing your LibreOffice document and/or PDF on a different
printer? Rather than wasting labels, you could of course print on plain
paper and hold it up against the labels ;o)

Wish I could, but my inkjet does not want to feed paper. I suspect the rubber feed roller has hardened on the surface and no longer grabs the paper. I used it so little, it's way down on the priority list to fix.

I remember years ago when Intel turned out a chip that had an error in
it's math calculations.  It was a rare happening, but when they finally
admitted it publicly, trying to say it wasn't important do to the rare
occurrence, it did not go over well at all!  <G>

How many Pentium designers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
1.99904274017, but that's close enough for non-technical people.
;o)

LOL!!!!

Mark.

--