On 2/10/16 1:18 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
Ken Springer wrote
I remember years ago when Intel turned out a chip that had an error in
it's math calculations.  It was a rare happening, but when they
finally admitted it publicly, trying to say it wasn't important do to
the rare occurrence, it did not go over well at all!  <G>

About 25 years ago, I was the treasurer of my children's preschool. I
created a spreadsheet to calculate paychecks, and I found that the
paycheck was consistently off by .01 (a penny). It drove me nuts. As it
turned out, one part of the calculation required the division of 28 by
7, which every third grader knows is 4. Well, my spreadsheet gave an
answer of 3.9999999999_. By itself, it wasn't a big problem, but later
in the chain of operations, the 3.99999_ produced a result that rounded
*down* to the nearest penny instead of *up*, which it would have done if
the 28/7 had resulted in 4 instead of 3.9999. I complained to a computer
friend of mine who tried to explain that the computer's answer was more
"precise" than my mental math of 28/7=4. I didn't buy it.

I wouldn't buy it either. I don't care how someone tries to explain it, the result is wrong. Pure and simple. Just try pulling that response on a grade school teacher, and you're going home with an "F".

How something can be more "precise" than the correct answer is beyond me.

I can see the future now... "Captain Kirk, sorry, we missed the planet by 10 million miles. Our computer divided 28 by 7 and says the answer is 3.999999999..." LOL

Wrong is wrong, I don't care how somebody wishes to justify it.

I learned a valuable lesson in blindly accepting a computer's
calculation simply because it was made by a computer.

Virgil

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5