On 3/30/2015 10:03 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

The only names i recognised were GnuCash and HomeBank;
http://www.gnucash.org/

I spent approximately 40 hours trying to get basic books to balance. I'm talking only 100 entries and I could never make it work.I thought this list looked interesting;
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-accounting-software-8-programs-we-recommend-1136684
There is even one that says it only does invoicing and that looks fairly simple.

It's also Windows only and it will probably do what I need but to have a whole separate machine for Windows is just making me crazy.

Err, i used to work in an Accountancy Practice as a clerk so it was my job to do really basic bookkeeping for quite a lot of clients. That sort of approach might well turn out to be well worth the cost and would probably be a lot lower than than whatever your accountant charges per hour for your end-of-year accounts etc. It might be worth asking her/him to give you an estimate of how much they think they would charge, just to get an idea.

he's built a package for me with corporate, personal, bookkeeping and phone support for something like $300 a month. It's been worth already because he's an enrolled agent and because of crap from my divorce, he kept the IRS off my back. I've done some shopping around and anyone who has any sort of a reputation for quality work is in that same range.

As I've said elsewhere, a full-scale bookkeeping system is overcomplicated solution. It's some simple sums, filling in a form from other cells in a different tab on a spreadsheet but, this may be just one of those cases where paper and pencil is a better solution because all computers do is complicate things. it's sad when five minutes with paper and pencil and a fax machine performs better than current software and the Internet.