Hi :)
I think that just installing Firefox or some other web-browser (people
seem to like Chrome these days) and LibreOffice deals with most of the
problems.

I'm not saying the Internet Explorer and MS Office are all bad all the
time.  I use both quite often myself.

I try to avoid them but they sometimes have their moments.  Also
people seem to get in quite a mess using them so i have to know enough
to be able to handle routine issues.

One problem with Windows 8 or 8.1 is that the interface and ways of
doing things have changed radically from Xp/Win7 or [shudders] Vista
and all that went before them.  However i get the impression that it's
the new way Windows is going to be in the future so it could be worth
spending time getting comfortable with it.  As with all big change
like that it is very annoying to have been forced into but if you want
to stay with Windows then there is no choice.

Of course moving to Ubuntu or any of the others (even Android or
Chrome or iThings) would also be a huge change and take a lot of
getting used to.

The difference is that with most of them (ok not with iThings, Chrome
or Android) but definitely with Ubuntu, Mint and almost all others you
are always given choices.  Such as being able to keep the way things
"look and feel" much the same even when they try to push more big
changes any time in the future.  They give a default but you can
usually choose something else if you prefer.

Windows seldom gives much choice and has a tendency to suddenly push
quite big changes in the way things appear to work.

Regards from
Tom :)