On 12/06/2014 07:38 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 07:21 06/12/2014 -0500, Tim Lungstrom wrote:
Yes, if you have deleted the MS Office package off the original computer, and put it on the new one, you should be able to use it that way. Transferring MS software over to a new system after you removed it for the old one should work. The only problem is the statements like the one I saw when I bought Win7 Pro. It was a "single system OEM version and cannot be transferred to a different system". It was less pricey than the "full version" that can be transferred to a new system when your old one breaks down. So it really depends which "style" Office install you buy.

I'm not an expert, but I believe not. As you say, the Windows operating system certainly works this way: a copy you purchase with a new computer cannot be transferred. But I don't think this generally applies to Microsoft's application software, such as Office.

Brian Barker

No, not copy bought with a new computer. Photo software I bought and installed on a laptop - full version, not n upgrade - was version X5. I installed a full version bundle of X7 and a video package in that system, so now I can use the X5 version for the other laptop that has a really old version of the software [from XP days].

I have not tried "single system OEM" Windows OS versions when replacing a bad hard drive. It should work, I hope, since it is the same system, but it may not. Not tired it on any OS newer than XP, and those had license tags on the system's case. I do have "refurbished" systems that came with Win7 and shockingly comes with the Win7 discs. I am hoping that I can use these for drive replacements on systems that have the Win7 license tags on the systems needing either a replacement drive, or a full drive wipe/reformat for really bad infections and/or package slowing the systems down to a crawl.

I agree that if you have a package that was installed on a newly purchased system, and if you are shocked that you get discs for the package[s], you have a problem installing the package on other systems. Sometimes these packages have routines to check what system you are installing them on. HP included package "might" install on "similar" HP systems, but not on a Gateway or other non-HP system.

New systems usually get a trial of MS Office or maybe some get a trial of their cloud Office package.

As for "styles" of MSO, yes that is a pricing and usage decision I do not have to make. Offline based editing and storage, vs. online/cloud based editing and storage. There are a lot of package options to choose from, and getting the "wrong" one can happen more often than you might want.

I would avoid using their cloud office package since there are still owner rights issues for things stored on some online/cloud office and editing packages. Plus most of the time, outside my home/office I do not have access to the Internet via wifi or wired options.

I have not bought MS Office since MSO 2003-ish. I run Linux by default so MSO is not an option there, but my two laptops dual boot from Linux [Linux Mint 17 and Ubuntu 14.04] and Windows [Win7/home and Win7/pro], so I can deal with some Windows only packages, along with the new video editing software I am now learning how to use.