On 9/9/2014 6:18 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 05:45 09/09/2014 -0400, William Drago wrote:
This is what Brian is trying to explain...

I was doing more than try! And no: what you suggest here is not what I was saying.

You've got 6 samples. The first one taken at 12:04PM, the last one at 12:36PM. The total elapsed time is 12:36PM - 12:04PM = 22 minutes.

Er that's *thirty*-two minutes , not twenty-two, by my arithmetic.

32 minutes, yes! That's what happens when I do math so early in the morning.

Follow these instructions carefully:

Why not follow my instructions instead (which are quite different), where a formula does all the calculation for you, not just the last bit?

Since the OP was confused by your instructions (indicating his level of inexperience with spreadsheets) and you did not explain how to fill the column or the purpose of $, I offered what I thought would be easier for someone at his level to understand. It is not necessarily the best approach, but something I thought would solve his problem and he would understand. It also demonstrates the ability of a spreadsheet to generate data based on a pattern in selected cells. This can be a time saver and is not something everyone is aware of.

My solution is not intended as a criticism of your solution, which made perfect sense to me and is frequently what I do in my own spreadsheets. I merely offered an alternative to someone who was struggling.

Regards,
-Bill