Hi

On 22 juin 2014 20:09:37 CEST, V Stuart Foote <VStuart.Foote@utsa.edu> wrote:
Paul-6 wrote
If you are more interested in stability and lack of bugs, OpenOffice
is
a better choice, as I understand they are more focused on bug hunting
and not so much on new features.

Hmm..., not sure I'd agree with that at all.  The Apache OpenOffice
project
is pushing out revisions as quickly as they are able.   And, being
active in
both projects I can say that it is simply not true that Apache
OpenOffice is
any more stable than LibreOffice. The Apache OpenOffice project has
its own
share of code quality and functional issues in existing code and in new
features that project devs wrangle with daily.

The development model differs considerably, but both projects have
moved
forward substantial enhancements, many from Apache OpenOffice get
routinely
incorporated into LibreOffice.  But less so going the other direction
due to
Apache licensing restrictions.

Older releases of LibreOffice remain publicly available in the projects
archive server:
http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/  so
folks are
welcome to stay at a particular release level if they have specific
issues.
Developer support of these older releases has ceased, but it is not
inappropriate to raise enhancement or bug reports against old versions
as
compared to builds in the current development cycle.

Regards OPs  request for "Less Bug"--i.e. "less buggy" releases, the
only
way that happens is if we users participate during active development
periods--testing across the office suite, and raising valid issues as
bugs,
and requesting valid enhancements for features not yet implemented or
for
features that may have been removed or altered so as to be unusable.

We users should participate on either project, or both as our time and
interests permit.  But at the least we must  provide concise,
actionable
feedback to other project participants.

So, please use an older release of either project if it meets your
needs--but please also make the effort to evaluate what continuing
development has delivered, both in function and in quality of the
suites.
And then go ahead and participate.

I will not comment on AOO model but I will add to some of the very good things Stuart has written
above concerning users involvement a few more thoughts.

First the notion that a project is geared more towards fixing bugs or rather more towards new
features is not a good way to start. If you look at amount of cleanup of bug fixing that has been
going on since 2010 you would see that we do constant and major bugfixing all the time. This is not
an "or/if" situation. Also this assumes that we can dictate our contributors what to do. It is not
that easy. LibreOffice devs are not employed by the Document Foundation , they get to work on what
pleases them or whatrver particular bug or need they are paid to fix or meet.

Of course we have successful ways to attract developers to focus on ver specific points or issues.
They are called easy hacks: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks

... but overall we cannot dictate them what to do.

On the other hand the notion of quality is managed by our release model:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

This allows us to let a branch improve its quality while enabling the newer one to receive more
features.

Is this all perfect? Of course it is not. No system is perfect ever. LibreOffice has millions of
lines of code to constantly improve and at the same time must remain innovative. These are not
orthogonal objectives but at the end if the day it is you and me who help make the "less bug"
version. Last but not least this link might be of interest if you are curious about contributing
without being technical: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA

Hope this helps,

Charles.