Regina,
Thank you very much for your suggestions. They are very helpful, especially the suggestion to use the "Selection" box in the Draw export dialog. I have no idea why I have not noticed that option before. I tried it and it works. I will definitely put your suggestions in my Computer Notes document for future reference.

Toward the end of your response, you describe a process to copy-paste a Draw figure into a Writer document. I have never tried that, but how does that differ from an OLE object? One thing I would expect is that changes to the figure would not be reflected in the target document, they would have to be copy-pasted again.

To answer some of your other questions,

1. I do not use the latest LO version.  I usually wait until x.x.5(+)
   is released and then stick with that stable version until the next
   release reaches x.y.5(+).  That said, I do have version 4.1.5 in the
   wings, but I have yet to re-package it for Slackware Linux and I
have not had a really good reason to upgrade from 3.6.7.2 yet. Eventually, I will try it.
2. Yes, my document is in Writer.
3. I have more than one reason to use the OLE object rather than
   inserting a file.  First, is that the OLE process maintains my
   document in one file.  When copying it, I don't have to remember to
   copy the figure files as well.  Second, the figure version tracks
   the document version.  By that, I mean that when I create a new
   document version, I still keep the old version(s) for historical
   reasons.  If I use the external file insertion process, then when I
   change a figure for a new version, the back versions will also
   change.  That is not what I need.  Third, I do believe that when a
   figure file is inserted, the path to that file is maintained in the
   document.  That is problematic if I change the directory structure,
   such as renaming a directory or copying the directory to another
   higher directory.  Then that link will break.  Using OLE prevents
   those negative effects. Fourth, is that the OLE object is easier to
   change while not going outside the Writer document to do other
   processes. Popping back and forth, is easy.  However, there are
   problems with Draw OLE that have been around for a long time, at
least as old as LO, if not OO. One is this rendering error. Another is that the OLE version of Draw has a subset of commands
   from the stand-alone version of Draw.  One that comes to mind is
   Zoom. The stand-alone version of Draw supports Zoom, the OLE version
   does not for some reason.  I do miss zoom while editing an OLE
   figure when I need to position a point at an exact location and it
   keeps jumping around when I move the mouse.  Using Grid Snap should
   help this, but sometimes a point needs to be off-grid and then the
   lack of being able to zoom in to exactly position the point then
   zoom back out, is very frustrating.
4. No, I have not checked if this problem has a bug report. However, as
   I said, this problem has been around for years and I am surprised
   there wouldn't be a report by someone else in all that time.  If
   there is one and it hasn't been fixed in all these years, then the
   devs must not think this bug is important.
5. In 1:1 scale, my objects vary in size, but they are around 2" high x
   7" wide.
6. My Draw "document" is letter size by the look of it.  However, in
   OLE mode, the size is whatever is defined by the Writer frame that
   contains the object.  I usually drag the frames (object and
   Figure/caption) to the size I need to contain the figure.
7. The only reason I use jpeg or png files is that they seem to be
   widely supported and they render well with good resolution. If I
   have a choice,  usually use jpeg for photos and png for graphics.  I
   am not sure of the other formats and I have not done much
   experimenting.  I do know that I stay away from EPS (Encapsulated
   PostScript) files like the plague.  I once used EPS files for some
   figures and it brought LO to its knees.  It took minutes to scroll
   to the end of the document.  I would guess that the LO rendering
   engine for EPS is not very efficient.  Once I discovered that the
   same figure in JPEG did not slow LO down (and the file was smaller),
   I began using jpeg and blacklisted EPS.

Now, all this said, after I sent my original message, I had the need to print the figures and they printed just fine! So, it looks like the problem is with the LO video renderer, since the errors only show up in the document and in Print Preview, while the actual print looks fine. That makes this problem an annoying bug for me, but not a show-stopper as I implied in my message.

Thanks again and take care.
Girvin Herr