Hi :)
Of course Debian is same family as Ubuntu so it's all the same on the
command-line.  Ubuntu has tweaked things a bit differently so there are
some disparities and it developed the idea of "LTS " releases which makes
it a bit more exciting and the UI is more glamorous, like a Mac, but really
they are both pretty much the same under-the-bonnet (for the most part).

Problem with virtualisation is that you really need a rock-solid host OS as
the foundation and preferably one that isn't going to throw a wobbly that
you are running a virtual machine and shouldn't even notice if you run a
different OS in the virtual machine.  Macs beat Windows for this because
they seem to tend to be more stable and less vulnerable to malware plus it
seems to use less resources so it's easier to give the virtual machine more
ram and such.  Windows does have it's own advantages, of course, but
"playing well with others" is not top of the list!

Regards from
Tom :)