On 6/05/2014 22:35, Girvin Herr wrote:
Tom & Milica,
No! No! No! I am not offering to do the work. I apologize if I somehow implied that. I have zero experience writing LO macros of any sort. I was just suggesting to avoid macros wherever possible. Recreating data entry forms and reports when there is a need to migrate to another client (front end) is enough of a problem without having to re-write macros too.

I use the Base query editor as Tom suggests, which is a nice GUI shell around the SQL, to create my table data relationships, aliases and sorts. It is very similar to what Access 1.1 had to define similar relationships. It works great. If you want to see the underlying SQL, it can switch modes to show the SQL and even test run it to see the resultant output in table form.

I was just suggesting to look at using a query or two rather than macros, wherever possible. Another aspect of this is that a query should run the actions, such as a sort, on the database server (back-end) and should run faster than a macro running in Base.
Using a proper SQL server + Macro's + dialogs (no forms) but using the dialog controls to visualise the data is not the easyist way but opens a never ending route.
I am curious: Does the Base macro "engine" run in Java? Has anyone tested this probable speed difference?
not the macro's make a difference , you just use a macro visualise the data and to pass the SQL statements to the server who change , update or delivers the data. Only the connection with your server and the data volumes influence the speed.
Girvin