Here is a question, and answer. . .

How can I add more colors to the list that is shown in Writer and Calc, when you choose a font color or the background color for a "cell"?

Well you could add one, one at a time, through LO's internal ability to add colors. That is not the way I am talking about, this time.

There is a "standard.soc" file that is used to store the Hex color code and name, along with the order that color is in the list.

You can always add a large number of colors to that file.  I sure did.

One person on these lists helped me out with this "idea" and I build a "whopper" of a color list.

Of course there may be some overlapping of colors, but I think that it is OK, since there are several different color set listed on my file. Some of the color names and the associated Hex codes might not be listed correctly, but I was relying on others for these codes and names. I have a HTML page of color names and codes that are different than any other list I have seen, but that is OK as long as the color is what you want, whatever the name is.

One of the color "lists" is the "Branding Colors" for LibreOffice. Things like the official Green 2 and Yellow 3.

So where is this file located? I have not looked for it, yet on a Windows system, but you can search for it easily enough. For Ubuntu, LO 4.x stores the file in the following area:

<home folder/user-name>.config/libreoffice/4/user/config

note: make sure your "Show hidden files" option is checked so you can see the ".config" folder listed in your "Home" folder.

For me it is - - "timothy/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config"
since my home folder's user name is "timothy".

rename the old "standard.soc" file as "standard.soc--old.txt" or something that shows you it was the original one..
copy the new one in its place.

Well, to get you started, here is the one I use. It is about 2000 colors listings in size. I kept the original color list at the top of the file and added the LO "Branding Colors" next, then just started adding other sets of colors I was given.

https://owncloud.documentfoundation.org/index.php/apps/files/download/2014-calendars/standard.soc

The format is shown below.
First the color's Hex code, then the name associated with that color.

draw:color="#70a752"/><draw:color draw:name="LO Green 0"
draw:color="#106802"/><draw:color draw:name="LO Green 1"
draw:color="#528b8b"/><draw:color draw:name="DARK TURQUOISE"
draw:color="#00688b"/><draw:color draw:name="DIM GRAY"
draw:color="#696969"/><draw:color draw:name="DODGER BLUE 1"
draw:color="#6b0094"/><draw:color draw:name="Magenta 8"
draw:color="#5e11a6"/><draw:color draw:name="Blue 1"
draw:color="#e6e6e6"/><draw:color draw:name="Blue gray"
draw:color="#00ffff"/><draw:color draw:name="Light red"
draw:color="#ff0000"/><draw:color draw:name="Light magenta"

Here is a list of some of the colors in the HTML file I talked about [above] with the interesting color names. I will add them to the "standard.soc" file, one of these days. How many of you could use one of the "Chocolate" colors or how about "Snow". "Gold" is always good, but the list did not have "silver" or "copper" in it. It does have 100 versions of Gray, from the darkest [nearly black] to the lightest [nearly white].

BROWN #A52A2A
BROWN 1 #FF4040
BROWN 2 #EE3B3B
BROWN 3 #CD3333