Here's an earlier post from Pablo Dotro:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
On 11/07/13 07:50, Virgil Arrington wrote:
Once you apply your style, you can clear any direct formatting by
selecting the text and hitting <Ctrl-M>. Everything should then snap
to the style-controlled formatting.

Virgil
I've seen a case when this not always work. If you apply some direct
formatting (i.e. bold something by hand), then apply some charactery
style, then a paragraph style (with the format you really wanted in the
first place)... what you get is a mix of applied formatting that almost
never corresponds to the style you wanted. If you clear the direct
formatting there, it does not reset completely. You have to also remove
the applied character style to get the text to respond completely to the
paragraph style.
It's annoying, but It could be considered a feature, not a bug ;-)
Cheers,

--
Pablo M. Dotro
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the case I'm talking about. I've struck it as well. I suspect it
might be tied up with list style interactions, but I can't be sure. I
certainly ran into it in an imported .doc converted to .odt. (Not a very
complex document, with few styles and lots of "hand" formatting, spaces and
newlines.)

There is, in fact, another 'clear formatting' option.

If you open the style list pull-down, and scroll t the very top, there is a
"Clear formatting" option, which behaves very differently from the "Clear
direct formatting ^M" option. It does seem to perform a pretty radical
paragraph formatting reset. However, as I no longer have access to the
intermediate forms of the file I was working on, I can't test to see whether
it solves the problem.