On 10/09/2013 12:59 PM, Felmon Davis wrote:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

On 10/08/2013 06:53 PM, James Knott wrote:
Paul wrote:
There is nothing inherent in linux that makes it harder (barring the
sheer number of distros; see below), it depends purely on how much
effort the developers are willing to go to for any particular linux
distro.
Don't forget, LO is included in many distros.  It might not be the
absolute latest, but it would be farily recent.

Well if you use Ubuntu's LTS [long term support] OS you upgrade the OS
every two years.  There is a lot of changes in LO over even a year's
worth of time, let alone two.

so sounds like you should look into a 'rolling release' like LMDE or
Linux Mint Debian Edition or Manjaro.

my systems desperately need updating so I guess I feel little need to
be up2date.

I don't know how these releases treat LO; in this discussion we need
to be careful not to confuse the difficulties of upgrading LO with
supposed difficulties of upgrading the operating system.

F.

For Ubuntu [since 10.04 LTS] I have been downloading the 64-bit Debian
install files for my system instead of using the repository.  Currently
my system shows 3.5.7 in the repository instead of the 4.0.5 that is the
current version of that line.

I do not use Mint due to a problem with some network printers.  It sees
them if I plug in the USB cables, but will not see them as available
network printers.  Mint has both MATE [which I use] and Cinnamon for the
GNOME 2.6-ish desktop  environment.  I prefer the old style of GNOME
desktop over GNOME 3.x or Unity.

I use the LTS, or long term support, versions of Ubuntu instead of
upgrading it twice a year.  I do not know what you mean by "rolling
release", but I really hate it when every few months you have to deal
with a new release of an OS or some major change in a software package.
GIMP's version for 12.04 is good, but the 13.04 and Windows versions now
require you to "export" and not "save as" any image format that is not
their internal default.  I use to just save my files to JPG, but the new
versions require you to export the file to JPG, or PNG, or GIF.  Things
like that type of change make me mad.

Sure, I keep up with LO, but I do not install every new version, every
time it comes out.  That is not what I prefer to do.  I run 4.0.5 on
Ubuntu, but I am thinking about installing 4.1.2 soon.  I have 4.1.2 on
my Win7 laptop, currently.

As for keeping it up-to-date, well I keep the update manager checking on
a daily basis for updates to my desktop.  Every few days there seems to
be a few updated packages to install.  I just do not upgrade my OS
version every time a new one comes out.