Hi :)
On a dodgy connection that intermittently "drops out" Internet Explorer just stops the download and
pretends that it's all done.  Firefox and most others tend to try to either resume the download or
starts the download again.

It's better to use torrenting because torrents allow you to interrupt and then resume again later,
plus it keeps track of the download and keeps checking you are getting a perfect download.  The
normal web-browser method don't keep checking the accuracy so rigorously.  However, it takes a
little while to get used to torrenting and it means you need to install a "torrenting client".
There are a lot of fanboys out there saying this one or that is better and that others are rubbish
but really it's best to just start with any torrenting client and then try out other later to see
which you prefer.  You will fairly quickly work out which features you like and which you don't
find necessary.

A Sha or Md5sum check involves running a small program on your computer to generate a number
(called a "hash" but you can't smoke it and it's not illegal) and then compare that number with the
relevant one listed on the website you are downloading from.  The couple of times i tried this i
used an on-screen calculator to copy&paste the numbers so i could easily take one away from the
other.  A non-zero result meant my connection had stuffed-up.

Usually it's fairly tricky to find the sha or md5sum number and for most projects they tend to all
be on one page so you have to scroll through the look-up table to try to find.  If the download was
for one of the recent versions and was the one for Windows then it's likely to be either near the
very top or near the very bottom so if you can't see it at the top scroll all the way through very
fast and then come back to the middle later on if you still haven't found it.  For LibreOffice we
have a different page for each release and list the has/number for all the types of checking tools.
 You can get these from the downloads page by clicking on the "info" link in the fake button.  For
example

The best version for corporate deployments, because it is the current most stable version, so it's
less likely people run into weird problems, is the 4.0.5
Windows - LO 4.0.5 main installer in English (US)
SHA-256 Hash: 903816ac56bacff8c1a7fe98919da579548b4f2433a35a7525442892a9bbc189
SHA-1 Hash:     0117ba5ae0bda3b1259a455ffaa0a240c155e0d8
MD5 Hash:        2591a067e9264f615552f11803c1cd64

Windows - LO 4.0.5 in-built help files (so when people click on the Help button in LO they get a
pop-up help rather than being sent to an online wiki page) in English (US)

SHA-256 Hash: 5966730df81da65da4fc9b3487aae942014eeead71349a2d682fdd28efaa59aa
SHA-1 Hash:     6c7f477e915e8c92ab0c55298a790b54e8e150a5
MD5 Hash:        0a7331174784616ac294c9cd831fb088

Even though the default download, the 4.1.1 (soon the 4.1.2), has better compatibility with MS
Office formats such as DocX (and has tons of new features) it's probably not so good for corporate
deployments unless users have been using LibreOffice for quite a long time and know what to expect.
 When they first encounter LibreOffice they are likely to have a lot of questions and it's good for
you to feel confident that their questions are NOT bugs and ARE solvable, possibly just requiring a
slightly more sensible approach than the MS Office way.  With early releases in a new branch (such
as until x.x.4) you can never be certain.  So, anyway;
Windows - LO 4.1.1 main installer in English (US)

SHA-256 Hash: 0fb99813311b46117b76f815d5d417c6d031a52fd577dba0bae00854fe666358
SHA-1 Hash:     43dfcfcdf3d828654a6408ab8bdb8b2666012a88
MD5 Hash:        4fa047c0590097ce201f49655365d772

Windows - LO 4.1.1 in-built help files in English (US)

SHA-256 Hash: da63436432e6ca438c367df68502faae5b58d309ea9574249fcffe3541ebd648
SHA-1 Hash:     5465fe639d3a3b0e7d51ff007ab6e00cbf8db27b
MD5 Hash:        c48277e435c9f4e8b6984a7b58f52bbc

If you have not yet learned about checking downloads using these keys/hashes/numbers then it's
probably best to start using the Sha256 and get ahead of those of us that are still stuck on older
versions.

However, like i said, it's probably best to start off by just re-downloading but use Firefox or
some other web-browser rather than using Internet Explorer.  Then test on just 1 or 2 machines to
see if the download did work.  Ruth's advice is good and she gave 3rd party sites that both have a
fairly good reputation.  Anyway, i just felt my own previous reply was a bit shoddy so i thought i
would make the effort to improve on my own answer.
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)