Hi :)
Tweaking in MS office is probably the best time to convert Doc to DocX.

However you then risk the DocX looking different if they are not using the same version of Windows
and the same version of MSO.  Mind you any editable format changes a bit due to external issues
such as different printer, and other unlikely factors.  So i guess Doc or DocX should look fine as
long as you don't need an exact match.
Regards from
Tom :)