Virgil Arrington wrote:
The typographic standard is to only use one space between sentences
with proportionally spaced fonts.

In the old hand set type (which I have worked with) there were different
width spaces (en & em quads), depending on where they were used.
Typically, an en quad was used between words and an em quad between
sentences.  The names refer to the width of upper case N and M
characters.  So, the space between words was as wide as an N and between
sentences, an M.  There were also wider ones, such as double M and
triple M.  Typesetting machines, such as the Linotype also had provision
for different width spaces.