Hi :)
I suspect that a lot of other programs will also continue to support Doc and as far as possible Rtf
too but such files will become increasingly difficult over the longer-term.

It is time to start moving towards Odt for longer-term storage.  Even MSO supports Odt now and that
format is implemented pretty much exactly as documented making it more of a longer-term prospect
for anyone that wants to read their own documents in a decade or so.  Doc is possibly the best for
most collaborative work right now but Odt will probably take over that role too.

Regards from

Tom :)