On 02/08/13 01:13, Brian Barker wrote:
At 22:54 01/08/2013 +0100, Alastair Noname wrote:
My main use of LO will be for business correspondence and I need some
help with templates.  In WordPro my template has company details in
the header but I am able to suppress this on the second and subsequent
sheets.  Is it possible to do this in LO ...

Headers (and footers) are a property of page styles.  If you want a
header on some parts of your document but not on others - or headers
with different contents - then you need different page styles for those
parts.  You could create your own styles if necessary, of course, but
you may find that the standard First Page and Default page styles will
suffice.

o Go to Format | Styles and Formatting (or use the Styles and Formatting
button in the Formatting toolbar, or press F11).
o Click the Page Styles button.
o With the cursor in the first page of your text, double-click the
required page style - probably First Page.

Since your text will presumably flow naturally across from the first
page to the second, you will need the change of page style to occur at
that point, wherever in the text that happens to be.  You do this by
defining a Next Style on the Organizer tab of the first page style - and
you will see that First Page's Next Style is already set to Default, so
that has been taken care of.  Default's Next Style is Default, so your
first page has First Page page style and all other pages will have
Default page style.

(There is another method which suits different cases.  Where there is a
clear separation between the material that must occur on the first and
second pages, you will anyway wish to insert a manual page break at this
point.  And you can make the change in page style explicit at that point.)

Also how do I keep numbering in footer correct?

What's the problem?  It's only when you want the page numbering *not* to
follow on normally that you need to tinker.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Hi Brian,
All the above is fine and thanks again. A couple of follow up questions if I may pleaase ask:-

I note I can modify the First Page style but what I think I need to do is create a new "first page" style called say "Home Address Letter" style. I don't know how the style properties for the first page are created but I presume I can modify the "First Page" style and save it as "Home Address Letter" Is that right? In fact I need two letter first pages, one for office and one for home so further help would be appreciated.

The second question concerns fonts. I am used to having the font included within the style definition. Is this possible with LO?

Grateful for further guidance when you have time.
Regards,
Budge