Hi :)
Ahhh, Ubuntu keeps finding new ways of hiding the workspaces.  The
Ctrl Alt arrows
is good to know!  Thanks :)  I tend to use each one for a different purpose so i use
1.  for web-browsing and emailing
2.  for image editing, tracking where logos are in logos or posters folders, trying to get them to
the right places
3.  for web-design, html editing
4.  for sys admin stuff, ssh'ing, long downloads/uploads
On a fairly confusing day i might have stuff going on in 3 and on a really "bad hair day" all 4,
but i try to avoid that.  It's more useful when i can see the workspace switcher.  That way i can
see tiny miniatures of windows open in which of the spaces.  So,  when i completely forget what i
am doing it's kinda easy to check what type of day it's been so far.

Even though the taskbar/launcher/panel only shows what is going on in the current workspace if i am
in workspace 3 and click on the firefox icon then it whizzes me around so i'm in 1.  Hmm, bad
example because if i've got firefox open in 2 or more workspaces then clicking on it goes nowhere.

Regards from
Tom :)