Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2013 Archives by date, by thread · List index

Hi :)
On the space station it's only the laptops that are going to have Gnu&Linux put on them.  All the 
command&control systems are already Gnu&Linux.  I was listening to one of the ground-crew giving 
instructions on what to type in and it was roughly like
"ls", "LS, it says ... roger"
"cd ..", "cd ..., err nothing happened, roger"
"That's ok.  it shouldn't have said anything" "[sigh of relief]"

and then a command that my network administrator had emailed to me for me to do on our network!!  

About 80% desktop machines here have Xp, the other 20% have Win7.  All have Ubuntu.  So do they 
count as Window machines or Gnu&Linux when they have both?  2/3 servers have Debian (including the 
firewall box), 1/3 is Windows Exchange (that's the noisy one that keeps weirding out).  The Routers 
and switches seem to use a Linux.  Most hand-helds are Android, couple Blackberry, couple iThings, 
1 Windows phone.  

All counts are unreliable.  Most are paid-for research with MS paying the bill.  If a machine is 
bought with Windows on it and the Windows gets wiped and replaced by Gnu&Linux then that gets 
counted as a Windows machine by pretty much all researchers.  Hence Bug1 in Ubuntu.  
Regards from 
Tom :)  

From: James Knott <>
To: LibreOffice <> 
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2013, 12:50
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: 4.0.3

Urmas wrote:
According to, Windows 8 is
working on 14% of computers.
It's more than 10 times Linux marketshare.

Lessee now.  I have 5 computers here.  Only one has Windows on it and it
spends most of it's time running Linux.  I have a tablet and a smart
phone.  Both run Android (Linux).  I have a TV, A/V receiver & Bluray
player, all running Linux.  I also have an Asus Eee PC (borrowed by a
friend) that runs Linux and even my WiFi access point runs Linux.  Also,
how do you get W8 is on 14% of computers, when the facts show
otherwise?  Windows 7 and XP are both used on many more computers.  In
fact, computer manufactures were claiming W8 was responsible for much of
the decline in computer sales.  Look at how well Nokia is doing since
switching to Windows Phone.  They went from industry leader to also ran.

BTW, did you hear the news item recently about how all the computers on
the International Space Station have all been converted to Linux.  Or
how just about all the top 500 supercomputers run Linux?  Or how most of
the servers on the Internet run Linux?  Or...

You might also be interested in reading this article:

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.