On 07/27/2013 11:32 AM, Joel Madero wrote:
On 07/27/2013 08:16 AM, sun shine wrote:
On 27/07/13 15:36, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
Hi,
As a "first installment"...
- What goes wrong? Clicking on any of the icons for the various parts of LO doesn't cause anything to come up. Also, there is no "LibreOffice" icon for
  the complete package, only icons for the various parts...
- Yes, I DID delete LO befor trying to install 4.1 (apt-get purge libreoffice*) - I know the aspect of the "desktop-integration" subdirectory existing in prior versions. What do you mean be "seamless ... installation routine"? I ran dpkg -i *deb in all of the three DEBS-directories in the correct sequence (but obviously no dpkg -i *deb within a desktop-integration subdirectory because it does not exist in LO 4.1). Is there anything in addition that I have to do?
- How do I check the "menu edit" options?
I have reverted back to 3.6.7 now, may uninstall that version completely and try to install 4.1. But - honestly - it is MUCH to hot here at the moment to
do so and not to prefer going for a glass of beer... (smiley!)
Regards

Just a heads up - I didn't read the whole thread but I suspect this is the normal lack of desktop integration which others have brought up. This happens because of mixing the TDF package with the distro packages. You must completely purge your system of all libreoffice stuff if you are going from a distro build to a TDF build (the document foundation from libreoffice.org). If you install TDF package over distro package you hit snags. We are going to update release notes in the future to reflect this but in general I (and many others) recommend not upgrading until your distro packages LibreOffice into their repos OR from official PPA's as many don't now what completely purging means or know how to do it exactly and then run into these kind of problems.

Best,
Joel
QA Volunteer

Sorry, but I had to "purge" 4.0.3 before I installed 4.0.4. I run Ubuntu 12.04LTS and I think it uses 3.5.7 as its default install of LO. I have had to do the removal of the old version of LO throughout the 3.6.x line and for every 4.0.x version I have installed as well. So it does not "completely" involve the original version that the distro installs. Or at least for me. I seem to remember having to do the same with Mint and another Debian-based distro I tested before.

Also, I do not install the PPA's for LO or most other package.

I just stick with downloading the installs from the LO download page[s]. I tend to download about 90 files each time for the NA-DVD when each new version comes out. There are 7 less since 4.1.0 does not support Mac OSX PPC systems.

As for the heat, well we have a few days off that in New York State right this moment. Before that we were going record heat and high humidity. Also, in the EMT training I took in the late 80's to give me the "health credits I needed for college, the tell you to avoid alcohol during heat and cold. It might make you feel good but it make the heat and cold worse for you body. Some would tell me I am wrong, but it was in my text book[s].

I myself, because of my meds, feel the heat and cold much worse than many others in my building. Below 75 degrees I am really cold and above 80 I feel like it is in the high 90's or worse. Between the pain meds and the nerve damage, I just want to do nothing during the worst of the heat, even though I try and keep my place under 80 degrees with my air conditioner and fans. The there is the 120+ degree heat in the car on those days above 90 degrees outside. Takes 10 minutes to get my car cool enough to be able to drive. So we all tend to "shut down" as much as we can when the heat is in full force.