Hi :)
I think ram issues are the 2nd most likely cause of crashes.  If it is the cause then you probably
find other programs also seem to cause crashes too.

The 1st most likely cause has usually been some bad version of Java.  Each time Oracle release a
version of Java they claim it is safe and that we must all upgrade to it asap or experience all
sorts of unspeakable horrors.  Then a few weeks later they admit there are problems with their
newer one too.  Then they release yet another and claim we must all upgrade to that.  Rinse and
repeat.  If you are not using a Screen-Reader or other Accessibility tool then you can probably
switch Java off without noticing any difference except that your system is more stable.

Tools - Options - Advanced / Java

At the top UNtick the box that asks if you want to use Java.  You will see all the versions of java
currently installed on your system listed in the big white box under that.  Really your system
should have no more than 2 but preferably none.  Note that in the USA their "Homeland security"
apparently sent out a warning to companies that they should remove Java from their systems because
it was creating such huge problems so often.  I'm not often in agreement with Homeland Security.  I
switched Java off in as many apps/programs as possible for about a month before i finally
uninstalled it from all machines.  I was a bit worried that i might have needed it for something
but after a month found that nothing at my place needed it.  Of course some companies still run job
adverts for Java programmers ...

Like i said, Ram is probably 2nd and after that is possibly wobbly graphics card issues.
Overheating often leads to machines just cutting power.  In the bios you might be able to set what
temperature causes an automatic shut-down.  I hooovered one persons laptop grills and keyboard
solving that one for her!! It was a bit of a risk but worked out well.  For desktops it's usually
easier to take the side of the case off and gently remove the choking dust.  Be careful !!
a) it causes almost unstoppable coughing if inhaled.  Drinking water doesn't seem to help but
something heavier like mango juice or milk usually does the trick.
b) the plastic nozzle of the hoover holds enough charge to seriously zap most of the components on
almost any mbord.  Even fingers hold enough static to significantly reduce lifespans of components
although normal skin has enough unnoticeable oil to create other problems too.

Generally with those sorts of things you will notice other programs also cause crashes.

Going off on a tangent ...

Win7 has some new clever way of filling up nearly all available Ram by caching what it thinks you
will need next or might need quickly (such as things you just closed).  So, some of that 35% will
just be cached items.  One of the big features about Win7 was that it was smaller than it's
predecessor.  Each newer version of Windows has usually been hugely more demanding in terms of
resources than any previous version of Windows.  With Win7 one of the boasts was that it's almost
as small and efficient as Xp.  (ie smaller than Vista).  A 1st for MS.

Wrt deliberately written malware embedded in documents i think that is usually only possible
through Macros.  The Macro code has to find a way of being executed as "Administrator" (in
Gnu&Linux we say SuperUser or Root User  (hence commands such as su or sudo)).  I think LO Macros
run in some safer way that denies them access to that level of privilege even when a Windows user
is running as Admin all the time.  Win7 is much better at working well as normal user so users are
not all forced into running as Admin user all the time.  Again a 1st for MS.  While MS Office
macros have been used as an attack-vector for quite a lot of malware over the years LO/OOo Macros
never have been afaik.  MS Office macros use a different language so they don't run in LO or any of
the other competitors to MSO.

In Windows it seems to be considered ok for apps/programs to suddenly go off and download updates
and then install them and even force a reboot.  Generally programs are polite enough to ask before
forcing a reboot but if you dare to say no they will keep popping up with the demand every few
minutes until you obey.  In Gnu&Linux such behaviour would be considered a serious security issue.

Regards from
Tom :)