While it's totally true that malicious code might be embedded in anything
(especially ms formats... but we won't talk about this :)), I doubt it
would trigger a reaction as bad as a reboot, especially under recent OS.
Crashing a user program is very unlikely to cause a system reboot, except
if it call some regular reboot code, that would trigger a "clean" reboot,
windows closing and stuff. Most likely output is simply the program
crashing/getting in an unstable state.

As I said, it's not completely ruling out the possibility of a catastrophic
crash caused by some code issue, but it's fearly reasonnable to suppose
that loading this file make LO expand to use more memory than usual,
touching a faulty area. If the computer usually work without issue, maybe
the ppt file is very large, or very complex, or the LO loading routine
doesn't handle it nicely and cause the memory cost to increase.

It would be interesting to know wether the reboot is "hard" (instant black
screen) or soft (windows closing down normally).
Also, if the ppt file isn't sensitive, it would be useful to put it on some
kind of file sharing site for people to try loading it.

--
Cley Faye
http://cleyfaye.net