Hi Demétrio

As I suspected, I've been in IT since 1976, so a lot of experience helps with a good gut feel. Yes an old system, but as you say it suffices for your current needs. I would suspect you system is using DDR2 memory applicable for hardware at the time.

What you could do, as a cheap and helpful upgrade is see if you can get your hands on another stick of 1GB RAM, it should not break the bank, as DDR2 RAM is still avialable. As you indicated, you have 1.5MB of RAM, so I can deduce from that that you have a 1GB stick, and a 500GB stick, the latter is all you need to replace, to use your motherboards maximum capability of 2GB RAM.

The other issue I can see and I am sure I will be right, now that you have furnished more info, is that using too many USB ports are causing a problem too. This indicates that you current power supply unit (PSU) in the chassis, is at it's limits (i.e. could be a 200watt or 250watt unit, or aged (2003!!!) so the components (mainly those called capacitors), are burnt and leaking), thus causing the hard shutdown when you plug a device into the USB ports, or run an intense program with a data file. And yes the power demand does increase, from an idle state, when programs are opened and manage a data file. This power demand is then compounded when you use an external device, especially one that demands power from the USB port, and not from an external PSU.

Again a little money spent on a new PSU will probably fix all of your issues and return your USB ports back to full functionality, along with a stable old PC.

Regards

Andrew Brown