Seamas,
If I understand you correctly, you don't like the font preview pull-down when selecting a font in the toolbar?
Have you tried:
Tools -> Options -> Libreoffice -> View
And under "Font Lists", uncheck "Show preview of fonts"
This is in 3.6.6, so 4.x may be different.
I tested this and unchecking this option presents a list of fonts in plain text, not in their actual style.
Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
My version of Libre Office (4.0.2.2) on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 13.04) has a feature that I decidedly
don’t want: illustrating the styles in the pull-down style menu in the actual typeface and size
(some huge, some tiny). I’ve searched everywhere for the option of turning it off, but with no
success. Any hints gratefully received.