On 6/7/2013 7:45 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

As to the Ribbon, I pray LO never adopts it. A short while ago, we had a discussion about using paragraph styles. In my experience with my technology students, the Ribbon tends to encourage direct formatting of paragraphs by having the formatting commands readily available. Yes, the Ribbon is easy; yes, it is (generally) well organized. But, that very ease and organization steers a person into thinking that the Ribbon is the *only* way to work, and thus the user never learns to appreciate the great advantages to using styles. Yes, styles are found on the Ribbon, but in such a way that many users haven't a clue as to what they mean or how to use them. I much prefer the hierarchical listing of styles docked to right side of my document.

It may be a coincidence, but when MSO started to use the ribbon I found that I could not use Styles effectively any longer. I doubt any of the actual functionality went away, but I kept getting lost trying to do things I had been doing previously. So I also hope LO never goes there.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien
zwilnik@zwilnik.com