Hi :)
That is another huge argument we have had on this (and some of the other) mailing lists quite a few
times; although none in the last couple of years.  Mailing lists are very unfamiliar to most people
and are often seen as being very geeky.

The Ask LO bot was meant to become the main way that people would access our user support.  Also
there is an unofficial forum, which grew out of one of the arguments and was meant to evolve into
being the official forum within a few weeks.  Things went a little sideways (as they do) because by
the time the rest of the project worked out that a forum would be pretty neat (a couple of years
later) the owner had invested too much time and effort to give it up easily and the rest of the
project decided they didn't want it anyway.  A new official forum is very very nearly ready.  Just
looking for moderators and final tweaks.

So, although people might see "users@..." as the place to go for user support there are other
options and we are about to be given the one that people are most familiar with.

On the moderators list we have discussed ways of minimising "fragmentation" with perhaps having
some "common room" where all the various moderators and such could chat but we eventually decided
that keeping them separate would probably be in everyone's best interest.  Perhaps one will gain a
reputation for being better at one thing (such as this list is fairly awesome at macros and Base
(although pointing people to OOo forums is also a good idea with Base)) while other systems gain
reputation in other areas.
Regards from
Tom :)