Hi :)
Lol, nicely done! :)
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
From: M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com>
To: Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com>; "users@global.libreoffice.org"
<users@global.libreoffice.org>
Sent: Monday, 20 May 2013, 20:14
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Attempting to upgrade from (Swedish-language) LO 4.0.2.2 to
4.0.3.3 on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

2013/5/20 Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>

Hi :)
Sometime during install it should ask if you want the new version to be
the default app for MS formats.  Unfortunately i don't think it asks about
ODF formats.

There is a page in the wiki about "Installing on Linux" that might help to
remove all versions and then reinstall the newer ones from the downloads
you kept.  (You did keep the didn't you?).  I guess you can always
re-download if you have to, or encourage a buddy too and then copy there's
"to check them".

On Debian-family, incls Ubuntu you can remove all versions of LibreOffice
with a command something like

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*

but please try

apt-get --help

(with a space just before the --) to check that is not the one tht removes
all your configurations too.  There is one apt-get 'tag' to remove all
setting, configs and everything, and a different 'tag' to just remove the
programs but keep the configs.  The later is usually preferable to avoid
having to set everything up the way you like again from scratch.
Regards from
Tom :)

Thanks, Tom & Dan, but as I surmised, it was indeed a PPA thing and Rico
Tzschichholz came through with an update that resolved my problem just 12
hours ago. Kudos to him for his great work - next time LO is updated, I'll
attempt to exhibit a tad more patience !...

Henri