On 5/5/13 12:20 PM, Doug wrote:
On 05/05/2013 01:19 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
Doug wrote,

<snip>

I write letters--where I have a heading saved as a file that I can
import--and I write occasionally for publication, in which case I write
double-spaced,
extra space for paragraph, and no indent. I don't need any kind of
"style" to do that--I can set the double space once per article--that is
no more
trouble than finding and turning on a preset style, which I could only
do if I knew how to create it in the first place.

If I understand correctly your uses, sounds like all you need is two templates, and that would amount to the same thing. :-) Be quicker too, since you wouldn't have to import anything into a new document.

And I edit material
sent for a
newsletter of some 1000 circulation, for which the publisher uses
Pagemaker on a Mac to format it. I don't know, but I think  any kind of
style
setting would go bonkers seeing the formats that come in and trying to
mold them into something consistent.

This sounds almost the exact way I'd have you do it if I was the publisher. I'd tell you to do nothing but paragraph breaks, use a quality serif font to make proof reading easier on the eyes, and that would be it. Don't even indent the paragraphs, nor add extra space between paragraphs. Everything else and more can be done easily in Pagemaker, which is what the program is for.

I mold them fairly easily in a word
processor, by hand. And I save in MS .doc 1997~2003 format, because
everybody in the world can read that.

I would save in plain text, then the publisher has no formatting to worry about deleting or cleaning up. Plus, the overall file size would then be smaller.

And I write emails, and all I need to
do is fix typos, which styles can't do!

Grammar checkers, and spell checkers, aren't perfect either.    :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.3
Firefox 20.0