Doug,

Le 05/05/2013 17:29, Doug a écrit :
I may be wrong, but it would seem to me that all this fuss about styles
is made by people who are trying to do desktop publishing.

Styles are, obviously, a step towards DTP but, as you emphasize, a word processor is no DTP (as much as a word processor is no typewriter). Styles are a very powerful tool that makes ordinary users -- who do not intend to publish, just have correctly crafted documents -- gain time and energy. And, in the business, time is money.

But I can see what you're hinting: for those users who want to actually publish, such a tool like Scribus is the way to go. I share this thought, but DTP is a whole other beast that requires training on its own.

I'm not ashamed to say that I use
word processors as word processors, not as desktop publishers. I am very
happy to have this glorified typewriter

There's a very wide gap between a typewriter -- as glorified as it could be -- and a word processor. I'm always insisting to users forget the typewriter (even if they never really use any, or even touched any) and acquire the concepts of word processors.

BTW, do you know the hardware piece where the evil comes from? The keyboard. A typewriter kb and a computer one are not the same although they look alike. They just look too much alike and the trainer has to show they are different.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux