On 4/29/13 12:43 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
In MS Office styles are an excessive waste of time.  You just have to accept
that documents will have changing fonts, bullet-point sizes, misnumbering
> in lists and even changes in language used by spell checkers.

Are you saying the styles area a waste of time, or Office?   LOL

When I first got started with Office, and got into styles, the program was a total mess. Often I couldn't even save a doc without Word crashing, and way too many times, I would lose half of a document. Sometimes, I even had to start over.

Then a new version came out, and things worked pretty good, and once I got a handle on styles and formatting there, I can't say I had any problems. I'm talking about writing various in house plans. It was also an Office only environment.

LO, on the other hand, baffles me more than Word ever did. I have to own up to not working very hard with styles and formatting yet. Have no reason to learn it, and haven't taken the time to just sit down with it.

But, just last night, found an issue with outlines in the current version. And it's a situation that should never have happened, and should have been fixed long ago. I've seen enough of these recurring things that I've started looking at alternatives, including commercial suites.

As I noted in private email, LO still has not assigned two bugs I filed to anyone yet. They are classified a low priority. As I mentioned, the issues are *not* low priority to me, so if they don't want to fix them, I'll pay for a program where the developers do care to fix the low priority issues.

In LibreOffice just start by using the default ones.  Don't even set-up new ones.  Instantly
> you see a rise in quality and productivity. Then show how changing the defaults ripples
> through the whole document but keeps it looking very high quality.>

The problem is that people have become so accustomed to the poor quality of documents
> that anyone insisting on higher quality is seen as a fuddy-duddy, someone to ignore and
> ridicule even if that person is in authority.

+1

<snip>
--
Ken