On 4/30/2013 4:18 PM, Dave Liesse wrote:
As an end user, I'd like to ask one follow-up question to your third point. This is an "I don't understand" type of question, by the way, not a challenge.

Are you implying that if I want to, say, indent one paragraph with no other changes, I should create a new style for that? Seems like a lot of work since it can be done with one mouse clicks (or, if I ever get around to learning how to create shortcut keys, one keystroke combination) plus navigating to the paragraph.

Personally, I think this is the wrong way to approach the problem. I would start with *why* you want to indent the paragraph. What a lot of people do, without ever being conscious of it, is use visual appearance to communicate structural information. I start with the structural information (What is this object doing here on the page? What is its purpose?), and then I can add any visual formatting to it that I need. So if the indent is used to denote a quoted passage form another source (a very common usage), I would create a style for the *quotation*, and give it the attribute of indentation. And I would save it in my Default Template because I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time in my life that I need to do quoted passages. And if I have a long document with a number of objects, I can change the appearance of the quoted passages without affecting anything else. This is something the authors of the Writer documentation really understand, but it is a new way of thinking for most people.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien
zwilnik@zwilnik.com