Virgil,
That's weird. I just tried the process on one of my documents with a relatively large TOC and it worked fine. I did notice one thing I failed to mention: The "Structure" format is not global, it is by TOC level (the list to the left of the "Structure" line). Make sure you are changing the level that you are using in your TOC. For example, if TOC level 1 is assigned to Heading1 style and you only change that level, the other levels (i.e. Heading2...n) remain unchanged and will still have page numbers. If you are basing your TOC on multiple heading levels or styles, you must do this page number deletion on each one. Maybe that is what happened. Another thing you might try is to verify the change. If you change the level and re-generate the TOC and nothing has changed, then go back into edit and verify the change is still there. If not, then something went wrong with saving/applying the change. If it is still changed, then maybe the level was incorrect or there is something else that is not in sync, such as TOC level to style mapping. I agree with you about the un-intuitiveness of the TOC/Index process. A while back, I wanted an alphabetical index of the Heading style, in other words an alphabetical-sorted TOC, but the TOC function does not allow sorting and the index function, which can sort, did not allow indexing on styles. I had hundreds of entries, so it was impractical to add index marks for each entry. Arrgh! The good thing is that the LO TOC/Index process has and is improving over the years. The OpenOffice 2.x TOC process was much worse than we have now.

I am using LO 3.6.4.3 on Linux.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

Virgil Arrington wrote:
This wasn't my problem to begin with, but I just tried Girvin's suggestion for fun and it didn't work for me. I deleted both the "tab" and "page number" entries. Updating the TOC did nothing. I tried deleting the TOC and starting from scratch, this time not including the dot leader tab or the page number. When I generated the TOC, it gave me both page numbers and dot leaders anyway.

I imagine I'm doing something wrong as I generally blame myself before blaming the program. But....

This is one feature of LO (and OO before it) that I've always despised. There has to be a better, more intuitive way to generate a TOC.

I would recommend that the LO developers take a look at Atlantis (www.atlantiswordprocessor.com). It generates TOC's much more easily.

I'm still using LO 3.6.5.2 with Win7.

Virgil

-----Original Message----- From: Girvin R. Herr