I use Ubuntu and almost every time there is a "printer package" upgrade, like CUPS, I have to reinstall some of my printers again to get them to work properly again.

I do not use the Adobe Reader on Linux. So I do not have its issue of margin changes. I do a lot of printing to CUPS-PDF or doPDF [Windows] and then printing it out to the paper printers. I use that or Export to PDF for LO as well. When printing a PDF file for brochures and other formatted page like that, I must make sure the "shrink to page" or "fit to page" option on my paper printer driver is turned off. That will stop the extra margins from being added.

I have 3 duplex printers, but my laser printer does not do well with more than a 2 page sheet for duplexing, so I do the manual duplexing a lot of times.